As promised, here is my review for Abby Sunderland's book Unsinkable. (Photo post below)
From the publisher: More people have flown into outer space than have sailed solo around the globe. It is a challenge so immense that many have died trying, and all have been pushed beyond every physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual limit. In Unsinkable, readers follow Abby Sunderland into those depths. This biography delivers a gripping and evocative firsthand account that starts prior to her departure, travels through her daring (and sometimes near-death) encounters on the open sea, to her dramatic rescue in the remotest corner of the Indian Ocean, and the media explosion that happened upon her safe return to dry land.
Along the way, readers discover what it means to boldly face any challenge, to strive after something great, and to plumb the depths of faith, fear, and desperation only to emerge changed, renewed, and emboldened. In this day and age, when the most productive thing a teenager may do is play videogames, Abby's ambition and tenacity is a real-life parable of what can happen when we choose to exceed our own limits, embrace faith, and strives after what all the naysayers say is impossible.
My thoughts: Not having any experience in sailing, I was mesmerized by the fact that this teenager would be confident enough in her skills at sea to risk such a trip. Then I thought about her parents and how they supported her dream and had taught her that taking risks was sometimes necessary. How awesome that at her young age, she was able to see something she wanted and goes for it with the full support and encouragement of her family? I can say that many kids now take a lifetime to figure out their dream and still never go after it.
I was impressed with Abby Sunderland’s tenacity and strength in the face of adversity in this book. She took the bad experiences (engine not starting, heavy winds, etc.) in stride and drew on her vast knowledge of sailing and her faith to get her through. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to review a renewal to their own spirit and perhaps build some new capacity to make their own dreams come true.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
No comments:
Post a Comment